Believe it or not, spring is here and with it comes an opportunity to make things safer for you and your family. Here are a few fire prevention and safety tips to coincide with the arrival of Spring.
- Never mix chemicals. Results can be toxic and can cause illness or death.
- When vacuuming, clean out your smoke alarms. Dust can prevent the from operating properly and can also cause nuisance alarms.
- Remove dead vegetation and debris from around the outside of your house.
- Ensure barbecue grills are clean and are used according to manufacturers’ directions.
- Accumulation of grease can cause flare-ups and fires.
- Grills should be used away from the house and should never be used inside a garage, porch, or other structure.
- Check propane hoses for cracks and other damage.
- Never store propane or lighter fluid indoors
- When fueling lawnmowers or other power equipment, allow the engine to cool and fuel the equipment well away from the house.
- Never store gasoline indoors.
- If you have unused chemicals in your home, dispose of them properly. Click here for information on Monroe County EcoPark.
- Ensure pools and pool areas are restricted from children and locked.
- Store pool chemicals out of reach of children.
There are always ways we can make things safer for ourselves, our families, and our neighbors. Enjoy the weather as it warms up!